Saturday, August 27, 2016

What UPSC has taught me? - Shrikant Suse ( CSE 2015- AIR 400, IAS)


Shrikant Suse

IAS- J&K cadre

Grad- B.Tech(E&TC)

3rd Attempt

IRPS in 2nd attempt

Optional- History
____________________


This is my first attempt to write a blog post in English.



I started preparing for civil services examination from  3rd year of engineering (COEP). Initially it involved reading extracurricular books during college days. It took serious turn after completion of graduation in May 2013. Whole journey was with full of ups and downs. But the overall journey was very enriching.


Once Buddha was asked, "what have you gained from meditation?" He replied ,”nothing !”  However he said, "let me tell you what I had lost: anger, anxiety, depression, fear of old age and death.



Likewise let me state things what  I could loose during this entire journey:


1.Extremity : I gradually lost extremity in thinking, behavior. It got replaced by balanced, rational attitude and following middle path. But balanced attitude and middle path should not be confused with not taking stand or having no opinion.

2.Introversion :  I was introvert person and still I’m, but on lesser degree. I could not easily mix with others. It used to take more time. UPSC journey, where group efforts are essential, made me to shed away introversion. It improved my social skills and it is still an ongoing process.

3.Self Underestimating attitude: I used to underestimate myself because of my Marathi medium for civil service. People used  to give  me weirdo look, doubting  my graduation from COEP. But with depth of studies, my self-confidence  increased. On the basis of that I could clear two mains exams with flying colors, I believe and got 394 marks in GS this year, which I suppose is nice score.

4.Academic arrogance: It's common problem of many of the aspirants. With subsequent number of attempts and depth of study, the probability of academic arrogance increases. I am also victim of the same. In journey of UPSC, I could learn from many great personalities like Pravin Chavan sir among others and came to know how small I am in this big ocean. "Indians should have increasing humility per unit of achievement"- I  learnt from persons like Sharad Patil sir during my stay at YASHADA.


5.Impatience and anxiousness: UPSC taught me how important patience is in life. Failure in first attempt gave important lesson- “You can’t get anything till you become worthy of it”.



Apart from this, on lighter note, 'silence is best weapon many times'. This I learnt on our midnight 'ROOM TRIALS' during my stay at grand '62, NAVI PETH'- where every act of roommate was and is being discussed, commented and critically analyzed !!

At last, I am not saying that I am perfect human being. But I can surely say I’m much more changed person today than I was in 2011. Obviously process is still going on and will never end. Because, UPSC-MOTHER OF ALL EXAM, during upbringing taught me most important lesson of life- NEVER STOP LEARNING.




My best wishes to all.



6 comments:

  1. Excellent Shrikant !! Thoughts and expression both. We should have met in this journey of yours. Be in the network in the new more challenging and learning journey !!! All the Best !!!! Vivek, savitatai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a student of COEP and want to prepare for UPSC...This blog has motivated me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing sir!
    I'm proud to be working with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir your medium of optional(History) aswer writing?

    ReplyDelete