Sunday, February 25, 2018

So do you (only) understand classical music or feel it also?

I am naive in the field of technicalities of Hindustani Classical music. But still, I love hearing it simply because it gives me immense satisfaction. But sometimes the puritanical school of classical music argues that one must be well versed with all technicalities to even listen to it or else it is contempt of the classical music itself. I always used to counter this argument. 

And one fine day I was hearing the old interview of Gaansarswati Kishori Amonkar. She was asked a similar question about what should be, according to her, are minimum qualities that a listener should have. And in her usual iconic manner, she straightaway said that sheer love and affection towards music in general and classical music in particular, are the only requirements. Rather sometimes it may happen that, someone with an entire understanding of technical details, swaras etc. may miss the core of the music and simply judge or evaluate it on the basis of rules in a very analytical manner.

This is by no means an excuse for not knowing the detail rules of classical music. And whenever I hear Kishoritai, I realize and feel the "shastra" of her Shastriya Gayan transcending into "bhava"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment