Tuesday, July 25, 2017

"My strategy" by Kshitij Tawarej (Assistant Manager- NABARD), for NABARD exam


Before even beginning the Civil Services Exam journey, I had decided that if it comes to joining a lower priority service, I would choose to give one more attempt than joining the service that doesn't attract me. So when I got into Reserve List on CSE 2014, I hardly celebrated knowing that at this rank I wouldn't get any service since I did not opt some services. However, immediately after CSE 2014, I had failed in Prelims of CSE 2015. And all my self-confidence took a plunge with this. I began to doubt my own abilities. And then, failures just kept mounting on one another. I failed RBI Prelims, NHB Prelims, SIDBI Prelims. 


My frustration came to such a level that I even filled the form for SSC. Mind you, I don't want to discredit certain services and glorify the others. What I mean to portray is that I had become so desperate that, I began to want what I did not want.


After series of failures, I almost convinced myself that these Banking Exams aren't for me. And I would wait for my next CSE Attempt no matter how uncertain CSE is. That's when Notification for NABARD was out.


Reluctant as I was to face one more Banking Exam, NABARD syllabus did wonder for my confidence. Unlike other Banking Exams, the convergence with Civil Services Examination was significantly high. This is first of the three reasons why I'd recommend joining NABARD to Civil Services Aspirants. The second reason is that, unlike CSE or State Services, output to input ratio is better. I think, dedicating One Week solely for NABARD should be sufficient. If you can afford more, the better. There are limited sources which you must revise over and over. Quant and LR, the nightmares of all Banking Exams, come in their least scary form. The third reason, also the most important one, is that, pegging all you hopes on one examination is naivety. Pegging them on that exam which is known to be notorious is stupidity. My sincerest advice is to have a viable Plan B after your Second Attempt if Plan A is not materialising. 


Back then I only knew of a third reason. And so,  I started reading Socio Economics, Agriculture and Rural Development, Current Affairs with quite a zeal. I solved several mock tests, devised my strategy as to divide each section as per time instead of a number of questions to be attempted (For example - 20 minutes for Quant) which I had not done previously. The result was that my score kept improving. Yet, having learnt from my failures, I kept my expectations low, lest I might have to endure one more of it.


After clearing Prelims, Mains was to be conducted within a very short period. I just revised the same things I had studied for Prelims. I could have scored better in English had I had given more attention to it. Nonetheless, I managed to clear Mains with sufficient margin. In my opinion, the prelims is the toughest part in the whole process. In an interview, the gracious panel gave me 25/25. As soon as we got the result, within 15 days we were asked to join. And just like that, I became part of the NABARD family.

About NABARD recruitment procedure:

Direct Recruitment of Officers happens mostly in Grade A cadre and very few are directly recruited in Grade B cadre. Promotions are transparent. Grade A to B is automatic in 4 years. Grade B to Grade C and onwards is an evaluation based (internal exams and interviews). At Grade B or Grade C level, one is posted in District of one's native state as a District Development Manager to act as the interface between field and Regional Office. Top most post is Chief General Manager (Grade F) whereby you head either NABARD's Regional Office or Department at Head Office. Direct Recruits are trained for 2 weeks in NBSC (NABARD's Staff College) and there after 3 weeks of field training and 3 weeks of desk training. During the first year, Direct Recruits are also sent for Rural Immersion Programme where one is attached to an NGO for 4 weeks. Currently, I am undergoing the same. Throughout the career, there are different trainings for which one has to go to NBSC, Lucknow so as to update one's skills with changing times.

Personal work experience:

Working with NABARD is an experience of contrasting colours. While you work for the cause of Agriculture and Rural India, most of your career is spent in Capital cities of different States. While your service lies in Public sector, at many instances NABARD reflects the elements of Private Sector. Salary and perks are more than that of PSBs and at the same time, your work also does wonders in the reduction of poverty. Quarters are norm and almost all the Officers and Staff reside in the same colony. Your Boss might just be your neighbour. This creates opportunities for bonding and informal interactions that dilute the dreaded elements of hierarchy. In all this, the golden ratio of work-life balance at NABARD is what makes it Plan B+, something more than a mere Plan B.


Collectively, it means that at NABARD you will not be disappointed. You may still want to pursue different aims. One can certainly find time for preparation while serving at NABARD. And if that doesn't work out, you can always enjoy yourself working with NABARD (especially the field level posting as District Development Manager). But by being with NABARD, you will have ensured that self-doubt doesn't creep into you when you look yourself in the mirror as your attempts keep adding up. And as your friends progress in their lives, you can be happy for them without asking yourself - when will things change with me? 


P.S. - What I have tried is to give an honest picture of my personal experiences. One could argue that there are elements of self-boasting and harsh self-criticism, but without either, I can't own up to what I write. 



Sources referred:

  1. Economic Survey and Budget

  2. India Year Book - Relevant Chapters

  3. Agriculture section on vikaspedia.in

  4. Census and Socio-Economic Caste Census

  5. Capsules of Bankersadda for GK and Computer

  6. (Briefly) Annual Reports of Rural Development Ministry and Agri. Ministry


Important elements in strategy:

  1. Quant and Logical Reasoning is for clearing sectional cut-offs and not scoring marks.

  2. Every other section is for scoring marks.

  3. For Agri-Rural, Socio-Economics, GK and Computer an aspirant who is preparing for less than week or two should attempt up to 90% of the questions at the pace of 3 to 4 questions per minute.

  4. Time-wise slots for each section. 

    a. Agri-Rural + Socio-Economics 25 Mins

    b. GK and Computer 15 mins, 

    c. English 30 (+10) mins, 

    d. LR 25 (-5) mins, 

    e. Quant 25 (-5) mins.

  5. Solve as many mocks as possible.


 6. For mains, apply the same strategy with even less variables :P

5 comments:

  1. Thanks am at the same stage... like the probablity of getting ton mains 2017 is very less hence i am trying my chance at Nabard.. which offers a decent salary... :) thnks bro... u keep my flames up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Khitij , can you please share your interview experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NABARD Development Assistant Notification 2018 has been released. Get complete recruitment details about NABARD Development Assistant exam dates, eligibility, selection process, application process, syllabus and pattern here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations For your achievements...

    ReplyDelete