Friday, August 3, 2018

Photo-tourism.

I like travelling. Being at one place for very long makes me stagnant. New places, new people, new food, new experiences, new traditions, customs, new cultures really excite me. And fortunately I get to go at different places as a part of my job. What else one can can expect from a job?

Recently I had been to Hampi, a place in Karnataka, declared as UNESCO world heritage site. Hampi is a fantasy of world of rocks and ruins. It was the capital of Vijaynagar empire in medieval era in India.

Along with different architectural marvels there, one important thing that I noticed there was about the so called new trend in tourism across the world, i.e. rampant photos, selfies and 'pics' by tourists. With camera in their mobile phones, everyone these days, is busy in taking the selfies. I am completely fine with whatever one has to do and I respect the personal choice of everyone.

My only concern is do we enjoy and experience the essence and beauty of the place we are visiting? It is but natural for anyone to capture the unique moments and photos at a particular place as the memories for lifetime. But isn't it important to also 'see' the place first, enjoy its beauty? At many places, I see the visitors busy merely with taking selfies and photos, almost totally avoiding even the preliminary appreciation of the place.

I have no objection over this and I won't even insist that each and everyone should have interest in minutest details of some monument etc. Everyone has different flavor. But I do believe that we can teach our people, specially our youths, to better appreciate the tourist destinations. this will serve the dual purpose- they will enjoy the trip in real sense and it will help in better conservation of our heritage directly or indirectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment